[2/5/2020] Keeping SAP Stable: Faster Deployments, S/4HANA, & Cloud with AppDynamics
February 5, 2020 | 11:30 AM EST / 8:30 AM PST
Presented by Laura Vetter, Chief Technologist, Evolutio
Laura is a Certified Subject Matter Expert for both Splunk and AppDynamics Application Performance Monitoring tools. She is particularly skilled in understanding how those tools can match to visibility, monitoring, alerting and reporting needs of Fortune 500 organizations. Laura is well-versed in pairing Splunk with other data sets, SAP being one of them, with a deep understanding of the value proposition of pairing the capabilities of multiple tools together to take monitoring to the next level.
Three Themes in SAP Monitoring That Laura Vetter, CTO at Evolutio, Will Cover
- How to get ABAP-level visibility, deploy code faster, and do it more confidently
- Stabilize SAP health and fix nagging slowness of key business processes managed by SAP
- For cloud migration, S/4HAHA adoption, or on-prem IT modernization, why baselining performance before and after an infrastructure change is important
Faster Deployment Cycles (DevOps) in SAP is Challenging
Code deployments to SAP don’t always happen at the same rate as other enterprise apps. It tends to be slower with SAP. But, why? What factors create this cross-team challenge for SAP Basis, App Dev, IT Ops, and Architecture?
The cause is that ABAP-level monitoring is insufficient, which makes living with legacy “ERP Central Component” (ECC) based systems a near-term technical challenge.
Faster releases than SAP teams are used to introduce risk. Modern code deployment methodologies such as DevOps and CI/CD can inadvertently make SAP unstable or break key business processes. A accidentally buggy deployment could mean downtime.
Business Impact Due to Lack of SAP Visibility?
Key processes your business has in SAP are hard to weave together into a single story or picture.
Enterprise SAP apps built on ECC and written in ABAP code have been used for a very long time, and since they’re so deeply woven, downtime can be critical and expensive for the business. For context, according to IDC’s “DevOps and Cost of Downtime” report: the average cost of a critical application failure per hour is $500,000 to $1 million for the Fortune 1000.
Major SAP S/4HANA and Multi-Cloud Considerations Are on the Horizon
Looking ahead 24- to 60-months for SAP, lifting and shifting SAP business applications (say to S/4HANA or the cloud) can be expensive, time-consuming, and error-prone. How do we tackle these infrastructure modernization efforts in the next few years if we cannot monitor, detect issues, isolate them, and troubleshoot?
The Solution Covered in the Webinar: 3 Ways AppDynamics for SAP Can Help
- Get ABAP-level Visibility for More Confident, Faster Deployments: ABAP code on ECC and S/4HANA is tough to instrument in a low-impact way. AppDynamics’s SAP agents have low overhead and monitor performance of ABAP and database code. When SAP deviates from baseline, AppDynamics can pinpoint problems to a single line of ABAP code or database query.
- Map Dynamic Baselines for Key Processes Your Business Has in SAP: Static thresholds in SAP Solution Manager create alert storms, making them not actionable. AppDynamics automatically creates baselines for what are known as “business transactions”. This provides visibility for every key metric to track performance.
- Baseline Performance Across Mixed Infrastructure such as ECC, S/4HANA, and Multi-cloud: with ECC phasing out by 2025, many organizations will have hybrid and multi-cloud depending on the workload. AppDynmics is a single view of cloud metrics in tandem with on-prem performance.